Heritage Open Day: Go through a walled tunnel leading to the eastern flanker which was constructed as part of Berwick's Tudor defences. Originally know as Middle Mount, the bastion was re-named in 1746 to commemorate the Duke of Cumberland who passed through Berwick on his way to confront the Jacobites at the Battle of Culloden. Berwick's fortifications were built between 1558 and 1569 when there was a real threat of invasion from the Scots. Berwick was the first northern European town to be defended by this system of rampart and bastion, the most advanced technology of its time. These defences were never tested as the Union of the Crowns in 1603 ended the threat of Scottish invasion. Cumberland Bastion was one of the 5 strong points set around the walls.
Fri 17 Sep:14:00 - 16:00. Sat 18 Sep:12:00 - 16:00. Sun 19 Sep:11:00 - 15:00. Free Entry.
Cumberland Bastion, Coxon’s Lane, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland TD15 1DD
Fri 17 Sep 2021 to Sun 19 Sep 2021