Heritage Open Day: Grade 2 listed Institute with billiard room and lecture room, recently occupied by public library. Dated 1878 on parapet over centre. Red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone and polychrome brick dressings, steeply-pitched slate roofs. The building - more recently known as Lytham library - was originally built as a Mechanics Institute. Opened on 30th August 1878 at a cost of £3000, it included a small library of books and a reading room.
In 1898 a new reading room, gymnasium and classrooms were added at a cost of £1500. The extension was added to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee and opened by the Duke of Norfolk.
Later, in 1922, the library became part of the Municipal Borough of Lytham St Annes.