Heritage Open Day: St Helena's is an 11th century Norman church with a rare Sheela-na-Gig and a wonderful Tympanum.
It has strong links with the Mayflower Pilgrim Fathers.
A talk on the pilgrims will begin at 2pm. St Helena's was founded in 1080 by John de Buisli who was given the use of Tickhill Castle by William the Conqueror. It was built with limestone manganese from the Roach Abbey quarries some 10 miles away. The present building is on the site of a Saxon church which had links with the Austerfield Synod of 702AD which settled the manner in which the date of Easter is to be calculated.
William Bradford lived in the village, being brought up with his yeoman farmer uncles, from a baby until the age of sixteen.