WhereCanWeGo Logo

Back

Lathom Park Chapel

Heritage Open Day: Beautiful Chapel dating back to 1500
Historical talk 1300 Sunday 21st September 500 year old chapel in the Parish of Ormskirk.
At the Battle of Bosworth Field 1485 Lord Thomas Stanley's support for Henry VII advanced him to the Earldom of Derby. The Chapel was built in 1500 in the scenic Lathom countryside, by the first Earl of Derby as a thanks offering. Also as a Chantry and place of worship for the surrounding tenants. The original adjoining almshouses provided for eight Bedesmen.
1536 Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry 8th , probably when the Chancel Screen and Lectern were rescued from Burscough Priory and brought to the Chapel.
1645 Siege of Lathom House when it was raised to the ground.
1547 Suppression of the Chantries, the Chapel was probably saved due to it being in constant use.
Well restored, it has a barrel ceiling and stained glass windows which represent the Lathom armorial bearings along with their alliances.
event dateSun 14 Sep, Sat 20 Sep, Sun 21 Sep
venue addressLathom Park Chapel, Hall Lane, Lathom, Ormskirk, Lancashire L40 5UG
event timesSun 14 Sep:1400-1600; Sat 20 Sep:1300-1600. Refreshments available.; Sun 21 Sep:1300-1600. Talk about Lord Skelmersdale's family vault located in the Chapel grounds: 1300. Refreshments available.; Free Entry.
Spread the word

Similar Current Events

Stained Glass in perspective
Saturday 13 September St Mary’s Church, Church Road, Rufford
Rufford Old Hall
Saturday 20 September 200 Liverpool Road, Rufford, Ormskirk