Heritage Open Day: The Great Meeting House was built in the 1930s. It has beautiful window roundels and a historic Hammond organ. It is at the heart of the dissenting tradition in Coventry and is the successor to the church Mary Ann Evans (George Eliot) attended. Throughout our long history, we have stood for freedom of thought in matters of religion.
The original church was in Great Smithford Street, and was sold in the 1930s. The current building dates from 1937.
A pew end door panel, labelled as having come from Mary Ann Evans' family pew, survives separately.
The organ was carried from the United States in the hold of the Queen Mary. It was restored in 2001.
The twelve window roundels are images of the arts, sciences, and philosophy at the heart of life.