The Andrews brothers left the Museum as a gift to the Town of Hertford and it became a Charitable Trust in 1948. The Museum obtains its income through charitable activities and donations from local organizations and members of the public . In addition, the Museum receives a grant from Hertford Town Council, covering approximately half of it’s annual expenditure.
Hertford Museum aims to collect, preserve and interpret evidence of the history of the county town and surrounding parishes in the district of East Hertfordshire for the interest, enjoyment and understanding of the local community and other visitors.
The Museum cares for in excess of 100,000 objects. Our collections include archaeology, paper ephemera, ethnography, fine art, geology, natural history, photographs, social history and the Hertfordshire Regiment collection. We also hold the Addis company archive, including the largest collection of toothbrushes in the UK.