Heritage Open Day: Visit the former school which moved to new premises after 100 years, when the building became part of Loxley College. It is now home to Sheffield Spiritualist Church/Sheffield Yoga Centre. There will also be an exhibition in the adjoining church. The former St Mary’s Church of England School was built in 1871and was the first national School in Walkley, paid for by public subscription and a government grant. Starting with 55 scholars, it could accommodate 300 children. In 1903 as a result of the Education Act, like all church school it was taken over by the Sheffield Education Committee and this was the start of free education in the area. In 1948 it became a primary school as older children had to attend a grammar school or other school offering secondary education.