Heritage Open Day: A little bit of Bournville in the centre of Rugby. In 1909 a dual purpose adult school and meeting house was built for Rugby Quakers in what was then Moat Street. Designed and built by Bedford Tyler the architect of the Bournville Estate. The new building was officially opened as an Adult School on the weekend of the 16th October 1909. A contemporary account of the opening described the building: three class rooms were separated by a folding wooded partitions around a central pillar, so one single space could be created as needed.
As the reporter approvingly noted, 'Efforts have been made to erect a useful building free from expensive ornamentation, and yet of such treatment that the whole will be picturesquely effective...