Heritage Open Day: Mortuary Chapel building with two chapels connected by Clock Tower and Spire. Designed by William Flockton and Sons in 1861. Normally locked as not used for funerals. See our website for further info. Built in 1861 in (Brightside Bierlow), Burngreave Cemetery on 26 acres of land and opened by The Archbishop of York. Only used for funerals and closed in 1982 because of dilapidation and pigeon infestation. In 2000, a friends group was formed to care for the cemetery grounds and open the Chapels to the public. Since then, we have had the clock restored and maintained the fabric of the building.