Heritage Open Day: Visit the Southampton Quaker Burial Ground originally opened in 1662. History of the Southampton Quaker Burial Ground
1655
Quaker meetings began in Southampton following a visit from George Fox, one of the founding Quakers
Early Friends (Quakers) did not wish to be buried in churchyards nor were they welcome there as dissenters from the Church of England.
1662
George Embree senior bought the Quaker burial ground, known then as the ‘burying ground’, in The Avenue.
1671
The first recorded burial in the Southampton ground
1689
The Holyrood Parish Register uses the name ‘cabbidge garden’ in a reference to the burial of a member of the Quaker meeting.