In Plain Sight: The London Group and Thelma Hulbert Gallery
In Plain Sight: The London Group is an exhibition of major new works from The London Group in a range of mediums including painting, drawing, photography, sculpture and film. Each artist in the exhibition has hidden something of their choice in a new piece of work. The aim is to entice gallery visitors to look much harder and closer than usual at each work to detect what is hiding ‘in plain sight’.
Alongside this exhibition is a coordinating show: ‘Thelma Hulbert and her London Group friends’. With key works from the THG collection and loans of pieces by pivotal London Group members Claude Rogers, William Coldstream and Victor Pasmore, this exhibition explores Thelma’s creative friendships, artistic legacy and place within British Art.
Open Thurs – Sat 10:00 – 17:00
28 August - 30 October 2021
- 28 August, 2-3pm ‘History of The London Group’ talk with Tim Craven, followed by Private View, 3-5pm.
Art After 1950 – lecture series with art historian John Francis:
- 8 September, 10.30–12.00: Art in Advertising
- 15 September, 10.30–12.00 : Landscape tradition
- 22 September, 10.30–12.00: Expressionism
- 6 October, 10.30–12.00: The Art of Protest
- 13 October, 10.30-12.00: John Francis in conversation with Tim Craven of The London Group and independent researcher Deborah Smith (TBC)
£10 per talk (£8 concessions – students/THG Friends)
THG’s Creative Cabin will be out and about delivering art activities, events and talks including a series of ‘Health & Creativity’ workshops with London Group artist Judith Jones and Devon Recovery Learning Community (DRLC).
Thelma Hulbert Gallery
Devon EX14 1LX
Sat 28 Aug 2021 to Sat 23 Oct 2021