No results found for this search. Please try other locations or dates.
Things to do around Kent
Here are some delightful day out options in Kent, a county in the south-east of England:
1. Marvel at the White Cliffs of Dover:
- The smooth rise of Kent’s iconic coastline looks like a professionally painted canvas of white. While nothing beats seeing it from the water, walking along the edge shows the stunning contrast of white cliff against emerald sea. They’re one of the most iconic landmarks in England. There are plenty of activities to keep you active too, like learning about scientific discoveries at the Victorian lighthouse or exploring the WWII tunnels within that rock façade. Exmoor ponies (who help control grass growth) may randomly pop up to surprise you. Last but not least, make sure to check out Dover Castle and the nearby memorial that marks the first cross-channel aircraft landing¹.
2. Delve into Dover Castle:
- As part of the Kent day out alongside the knightly cliffs, Dover Castle is one of the most impressive things to do in town. Built to protect the narrow sea crossing with mainland Europe, the fortressed structure sits atop the grounds of what used to be a Roman lighthouse and the adjacent Church of St. Mary. Within the thick walls of the Great Tower are interactive exhibits that educate on medieval times; my favorite part, however, are the secret wartime tunnels. I joined a 50-minute tour that brought us into the narrow, chalk-hewn underground first discovered during the Napoleonic Wars. Through video projections within the passageway itself, we were told the story of the Dunkirk evacuations in 1940 (if you’ve seen the Christopher Nolan movie, you know what a difficult operation it was). Code-named Dynamo, this is the behind-the-scenes stage for that famous incident. Visiting Dover Castle on your day out in Kent is an enlightening and unusual activity I highly recommend – castles are after all one of the best reasons to visit England! ¹
3. Be entertained at Margate Dreamland:
- Margate Dreamland is a vintage amusement park with a retro vibe. Enjoy classic rides, roller coasters, and carnival games. The scenic location by the sea adds to the charm. It's a fun day out for families and anyone seeking a nostalgic experience¹.
4. Explore Canterbury Cathedral:
- Canterbury Cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the oldest Christian structures in England. Marvel at its Gothic architecture, intricate stained glass windows, and historic tombs. Don't miss the chance to explore the beautiful cloisters and the serene gardens surrounding the cathedral¹.
5. Discover the Historic Dockyard Chatham:
- The Historic Dockyard Chatham offers a fascinating glimpse into Britain's naval history. Explore historic warships, including the HMS Victory and the HMS Ocelot submarine. Learn about shipbuilding, maritime heritage, and the lives of sailors. It's an immersive experience for all ages¹.
6. Enjoy the scenic beauty of the Kent Downs:
- The Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. Go hiking, cycling, or picnicking amidst rolling hills, woodlands, and picturesque villages. The views are breathtaking, especially from the North Downs Way trail¹.
Remember, Kent's diverse attractions promise an unforgettable day out – from natural wonders to historic sites! 🌳🏰🌿¹.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 30/01/2024
(1) 27 All-Time Best Days Out in Kent for 2023 | Day Out in England. https://dayoutinengland.com/best-days-out-in-kent/.
(2) THE 10 BEST Fun Activities & Games in Kent (Updated 2024) - Tripadvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186310-Activities-c56-Kent_England.html.
(3) Things To Do & See In Kent, Attractions, Ideas & Days Out. https://www.visitkent.co.uk/see-and-do/.
Where Can We Go Ltd.